jeudi, avril 12, 2007

Un pied d'éléphant


A bad mix of a pair of new (really cute patent leather) heels and a misplaced curb saw me spend Easter Sunday in hospital. Fear not, nothing broken, just a bad sprain requiring crutches, ice, some pretty good painkillers (involving tramadol for the pharmacists), and self-administered daily anticoagulation injections for a week in case of thrombosis from the impressively apple-shaped swollen bruise (no suppositories at least!). I also have to go and have some sessions with a "kiné", a sort of physiotherapy I think, to "re-educate " my ankle. It is hard to know whether all this stuff is really necessary, since the French are well known for their ridiculous over-prescription and over-reliance on doctors and medicines and treatments. Has anyone ever heard of anticoagulation injections following a sprain? Let alone self-administered?? (Actually, Annika has just informed me that she had to have Johan-administered injections after her broken leg, so maybe it isn't all French hypochondria.) I have managed three so far, and am psyching up for the fourth which is due now, and it isn't fun. The syringe comes in a special pre-packaged thing, so it is already filled etc, but I still have to pierce the skin with the needle and it is surprisingly hard to do! Like Alex said, I obviously have a thick skin... (Sorry for the details, needle-sensitive souls among you.)

I am happy to report, though, that the French hospitals seem to be in good shape, and not too dissimilar from the Australian versions. There wasn't too much waiting around between triage and X-rays and bandages, and there were some interesting things to watch to make the waiting seem even shorter- a big guy having to be de-handcuffed by the three accompanying cops before going into triage especially a highlight.

And now I'm all bandaged up, sitting around on the sofa feeling sorry for myself, getting through season 1 of Lost, with my plaintive cries of easter egg neediness sends Alex to search my long gone supply for any little lost chocolates, while my blue swollen foot looks like it should be siiting on the end of an elephant leg.

Comments:
Poor baby elephant (foot-wise only!)! No ski pictures for us?
 
Oh poor Jenny!! :( Missing you guys heaps! It's great to read about all your adventures. Keep them coming! :) Hope the ankle improves and you aren't couch ridden too much longer. Love, Em & Goldy
 
Oh DEAR! That's just HORRIBLE easter luck. Quelle catastrophe!

I have heard of self-administered anti-coagulents, but not after a sprain (not that I'm a great knowledge in that area!) So what is in these injections? Enoxaparin or something? In Australia they have one called CLEXANE which is self-administered, and pretty common. Often prescribed for preventing things like deep vein thrombosis, which I guess could be the risk if you've got a big swollen bruise and you're not moving around a lot....?

Enough of the nerdy talk from me though.... get well soon!
 
poor Jen! I mean, running out of easter eggs! quelle catastrophe!...oh yeah and the foot things sounds kinda crap too.

Great to hear you're still alive though...us Aussies didn't know what to think with all this non posting going on!
 
Thanks everyone for your well-wishing! Today is hopefully my last couch riding day, since I have an appointment with the kine this afternoon, who will hopefully tell me that everything is mending beautifully and I can start tap dancing just as soon as I want! (Evne though the foot is still a pretty violet shade)

And for Noodle, I've been injecting myself with something called fondaparinux, which is sold as Arixtra, and I think for exactly the reason you suggested (A+ for you!).

Furthermore, I just gave myself the very last one! HURRAH!
 
Enregistrer un commentaire



<< Home