mercredi, février 14, 2007

Tu l'as dans ton cul?


While I would like to blame the hiatus on the needless extra silliness of new-no-longer-beta-mode-google-owned-blogger, it is in fact only my own laziness busy-ness laziness causing this dire state of affairs.

Getting right back to the business of analysing important cultural differences and observation of strange french habits, today we had an interesting seminar on suppositories. As you can imagine, this is not necessarily a topic that one can easily broach at dinner parties, but I have indeed been curious about this stereotype which I have heard about from other foreigners, but never from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

But today, I almost fell off my chair when the distinguished young academic drew up on the blackboard a very clear schematic of a circle (some might call it a hole) with a bullet-shaped blob heading towards it, with an arrow marking the direction. I am not joking here. As he continued to espouse the wonders of this very effective route of administration of any medication you like, I wondered if he, or indeed my friends sitting around me, had any idea how uncomfortable (very uncomfortable) I found the concept of deciding to take a medicine via the rectum. Not a medicine doing some sort of good in that area, but any old medecine. Panadol, anyone?

I was also itching (though not in any sense requiring suppositories, I assure you) to know if these things were as commonly used as this guy was making out, but again, a delicate natural restraint prevented me from asking my friends if they routinely put medecines in their bums. Luckily, he came to my rescue by pointing out that unfortunately suppositories are not very popular in anglo-saxon cultures, and so world-wide, cultural acceptance limits their use. This led to my much-less restrained friends turning to me mid-seminar: "Is it true," they whispered, "don't you use suppositories?" Which pretty much answered my question as to whether they did! However, most added that they didn't like them, and tried to avoid them as best they could. So I guess suppositories might be on the way OUT.

Then again, maybe I have just been lucky enough to escape all these years, and suppositories are just as rife in Australia... Noodle? Margs? Annika?

Comments:
Thank you for not illustrating this instalment with a picture!
 
I must admit I do not share your absolute horror! While I do not make a habit of using them myself...I tend to think that they are very unpleasant and the thought of using them makes me nervous. However, They are quite commonly used in Hospitals, if Bron is to be believed (I'm sure she'll give you a proper run down if asked) and I dare say, we used to sell quite a few types when I worked in a pharmacy (mostly to oldies though) don't know if this is still the case (Noodle?). I'm told drugs are absorbed very quickly down there....and have even heard of ravers/clubbers etc inserting Es in the same manner!
 
Yeah, I tend to agree with Margs. Hardly any prescription things are suppositories, most are tablets, although there are some exceptions - some pain medications have that option, and then there are the good old haemorrhoid treatments. From my experience, though, it's mostly people buying panadol suppositories for their infants/toddlers who can't/won't swallow it. Although, this does beg the question, if you don't want to swallow something, do you really want to have it pushed into your rectum? From a personal standpoint, I'd probably say not.
 
Enregistrer un commentaire



<< Home