mardi, septembre 26, 2006

Une année plus tard


One year ago today, I stepped off a plane, tired and stiff and in desperate need of a shower. I started to panic when I couldn't understand any of the french that the sour customs lady barked at me. I dragged my gigantic suitcase through the metro by myself, finding my way (god even knows how!) to a scummy hostel with a horrible sick girl in the dorm room who wouldn't stop scratching her head (with the fingernails of both hands at once! It was horrible!) or leave her bed the three days I was there. I sat on the stairs of the Pantheon after the hostel told me I couldn't check in until 3pm, and thought "What have I done?" I had dinner alone in a restaurant my first night in Paris because I didn't know anyone, ordered Cassoulet because I had heard of it and it sounded french, and had to pretend to eat the horrible slop that arrived on my plate (it wasn't a bad restaurant: that is what Cassoulet is!).

Today, I can't believe a whole year has passed, while at the same time it feels like 10. Today my work friends brought in a cake and a bottle of champagne for my birthday. Today Alex brought me lovely flowers and more champagne and took me took out to a gorgeous dinner. Today I've been in the process of planning the house-warming party that Alex and I are having on the weekend. While Paris is still far from easy and my french still far from perfect and family and friends are still far away, a year on, I think I can say I made it!


Comments:
Good for you girly! your post made me a little sad however as you making it over there means we lost you over here. Miss you heaps. Remember to enjoy your birthday festival (the housewarming could be an event of the festival..or even the closing ceremony!)

I envy your courage in making that huge leap to Paris....very proud of you!
 
Well done - my hat is indeed off! You deserve it, and you've earned it! Bon Anniversaire!
 
Happy birthday and happy anniversary - i will buy you a whole jug of sangria when i see you on sunday!
I agree that you have indeed made it and you deserve to feel very proud of yourself.

I am pleased to note the live plant in the background!
 
Enregistrer un commentaire



<< Home