jeudi, septembre 07, 2006

Demenagement


In between parentals visiting for the weekend, a landlady turned witch, a move to a new apartment (did I mention it is on the 5th floor with no elevator?), trying to finish up here at work, as well as always keeping one beady eye on the internet for cheapie tickets to fabulous desitinations, la rentrée* has not been quiet.

Mum and dad turned up on Friday, and were rather undemanding visitors...

     We want a beer on the Champs-Elysées they cried!

And off we went to sample the most expensive beer I've had the pleasure of consuming thus far in Paris (€7 for 250 mL)! Many other beers at more moderate prices were also consumed, as were copious quantities of cheese. They were also the first to see our new place, which we celebrated with a bottle of wine after Alex picked up the keys on Friday night.





Moving day came last night, a bit earlier than planned due to the witchiness of a certain previous landlady. It went smoothly with the help of some lovely big-armed friends, though we still have a god-awful mess of half unpacked bags in various piles, but at least these piles are on the fifth floor, and therefore require no further lugging up stairs! The moving was celebrated with a couple of beers and catching the 'revenge' of France over Italy, whom they beat 3-1, only months after Italy's World Cup win.

Photos of the actual place, not just a few cupboards behind people drinking wine, will come once it looks a little more respectable.


*la rentrée: The mass-return of bronzed Frenchies to work and school the first Monday of September after the annual 6 week trip to the South of France.

Comments:
Congratulations on the move! You must be happy to be able to spread out a bit!

I feel your moving pain though....we have a simillar situation with unpacked bags and boxes everywhere...I'm not even going near our sunroom...wall to wall mess! I think I feel a headache coming on!

great to chat with you the other night (albeit briefly)
 
Tell us more about the witch! What did that indignant French swine put you though?
 
Okay, but you asked for this rant:

God, she turned into a nightmare. We've always gotten along just fine, it's been very civil and considerate on both sides, including me agreeing NOT to move out the first weekend in September, but leaving it until mid-September, because she would be to busy right on the rentrée, which is the start of the school year (she's a school teacher). That arrangement turned into her ringing me at about 2pm on Tuesday 5th Sept, saying, "so, can I get the keys back tonight, because I'm showing the apartment to someone?"

Me: Umm, no, I still live there.

Her: What? You have to move out today!

Ummm...

Furthermore, she brought people over to see the apartment while I wasn't there without my permission (she left me a message which I didn't get 'till later) and then rang up and complained of a dusty TV cabinet. And then she said she was coming that afternoon whether I liked it or not, so I had to leave work early to get home and tidy up before they came.

Finally, we ended up both moving and cleaning the place on the wednesday night (luckily it's small!), while she showed the place to three groups of people.

Absolutely ridiculous, but it ended well, because I did get all my bond back which is what I was scared about.

End rant.
 
Enregistrer un commentaire



<< Home