lundi, juillet 10, 2006

La Première Poste de M. Yuen CEA/SAC DSV SMMB LMT


Hello all and welcome to my inaugural France-tastic post.

Well... After arriving in Paris via Singapore, Bangkok and Zurich, I was relieved to find Jen; ready to get me back to the apartment. After work Jen and I joined her friends at an Irish pub to watch the AUS/ITA soccer match. The less said about the appalling and disgusting travesty that occurred that night the better. Subsequent soccer matches were much more rewarding and every time France wins, it feels like a mini revolution occurs, with what seems like the bulk of Parisian youth letting of flares fireworks and blocking traffic.

Emily and Andrew arrived on the evening of the first Monday I was in Paris and a pleasant week was had where we promenaded around the better-known sites of the city.

The next week I started work at the CEA (Commissariat Energie de l'Atomique). It is an old (but very well funded) facility in Saclay, outside Paris surrounded by GM wheat fields and (probably) underground nuclear ICBM silos- just like your standard SPECTRE operation (Sorry ladies ask your boyfriends for the good word on Bond). In any case the whole place is like a fenced off military operation and I now have access and restaurant cards, so I can swipe in and eat on site like the rest of the employees (You always eat on site- since everywhere else is so far away and French people don't seem to like bringing lunch. It seems to be the biggest meal of the day and may or may not include a bottle of wine). The cool thing is I have to wear special red shoes inside the Restricted Zone and check myself for alpha and beta radiation contamination every time I step outside the building.

As you can see from the letters above the French love categorising their workplace duties into manageable chunks that indicate your area of work. Apparently according to my letters I work at the CEA, in the life-science division as part of the molecular labelling service in the tritium-labelling laboratory and nothing else.

Next post: the annual CEA rabbit extermination and crashing the Director's Soirée...


Alex already working hard.
N.B. Photo may have been taken last time he was here.


Posted by Alex, not Jenny.

Comments:
Hurrah for Alex in Paris!

So glad to hear that things have kicked off alright for you, and slightly jealous that you seem to now be living out your workdays on the set of James Bond! Do they have all kinds of cool automatic doors?
 
Hey Alex, good to see you on! Love an additional author, as it brings the possibility of even more frequent posts!
 
Good stuff Alex! Nice to know what you're up to.

(I think you should get that Jenny of yours to add you as a contributor so you can fully utilise that swanky string of letters of yours.)
 
Lovely to hear from you! Didn't realise you hand arrived in Paris until I saw your photo on Jen's last post....sneaky sneaky...I am waiting with baited breath to hear of the rabbits and the Director!
 
I did realise you had sneaked off either.... The job does sound very Bond-ie. You'll warn us it a man stroking a white cat points at a map of Australia and presses a button wont you.
 
it's still mademoiselle Instance for the next 7 weeks....

(is that the right spelling Jen?)
 
10 out of 10 Margs.
 
Alex you dirty sneak, buggering off without so much as a farewell tickle to tide us over. Job sounds cool, do you think you will get a henchman's uniform soon? I'm thinking something ultra modern involving vinyl and spandex and, of course, a helmet.
 
Playing with radiation - AWESOME!!! Thanks for putting Andrew and myself up in your tiny flat. We had a ball!
 
Enregistrer un commentaire



<< Home