lundi, juillet 17, 2006

Balles des Pompiers


The weekend of le quatorze juillet (Bastiile Day, unfortunately not translated as Jour de la Bastille) starts of with firemen's balls. The Bals des Pompiers invloves the firemen opening their firestations - complete with sliding poles! - and the erection (hee hee, okay, enough smuttiness) of a couple of ladies toilet cubicles, putting on a couple of cheesy french pop bands and selling tins of beer. Obviously the party is full of firemen, and yes girls, they do wear their uniforms! Unfortunately, this is not as exciting as one might hope (as I had hoped) because the firemen are all oddly block-shaped. The phrase "cut from the same block" takes on new meaning, square shoulders, square jaws, even their too-short haircuts were square. Now, don't get me wrong, they're still firemen... just kind of... blocky firemen.

And while I had my fun on Thursday night, Alex had his on Friday morning when an endless procession of tanks and gun-toting trucks and other green-and-brown dangerous-looking vehicles rumbled down the Champs-Elysées. Add all sorts of fighter jets and radar thingos (I'm starting to think Alex should have posted this himself) flying not very far overhead and cavalrymen with gleaming swords, and I didn't know whether to be impressed or scared! Somehow tank parades seem like a wierd way to celebrate national pride.

Couldn't they have bakers and cheesemakers and Chanel-clad models and the moustached policeman from the Yoplait ads (I can't believe I couldn't find a picture of him) instead?


Comments:
So you've finally realised what a funny race those Frenchies are!

I agree, I think the Yoplait man is much more a symbol of Frenchness than a tank!! Perhaps you can work to slowly change the way the French see themselves to bring it more in line with the rest of the world...don't forget the stripped shirts and red neck scarves...Vive le France!
 
That cheese man looks like he loves that cheese a little too much.
 
I think the cheese man might be part of a "let special children hold large cheeses" day. National holiday every 2nd May.
 
I think that "cheese man" might actually be a "very unfortunate cheese woman"
 
On a completely unrelated topic, have you ever tried typing in
http://www.france-tastic.blogpsot.com/
into the browser? (blogspot is misspelt). I made the mistake today. I really can't understand what is france-tastic about "Amazing Bible Stories".
 
Well, Noodle, if you don't understand it, it is obviously because you LIVE IN DISOBEDIENCE AND REBELLION TO THE BIBLE, REFUSING TO DO THE WILL OF GOD and you need TO BE BAPTIZED BY FULL IMMERSION. It sounds to me like you should start by reading AN INCREDIBLE TESTIMONY PROVING THE BIBLE IS TRUE, PLUS A COMMENTARY
ON THE NEAR FUTURE.

And don't forget to click on the busty young lady on the ad banner! "The largest Bible-centered sites on the web" with free girly screensavers!
 
Hmmmm crispy bread covered in stinky cheese....yummmmmm.....i'm having flashbacks!
 
Forgive me God - I must have sinned! Ever since i checked out that webpage by browser has been acting very strangely - needed a full reboot.
 
Enregistrer un commentaire



<< Home