lundi, mars 06, 2006

Mon cul bleu


On Sunday, I woke up with the sun on my face. Strong, warm, bright sun. Spring sun! Or so I thought. I believed it enough to convince Ruxandra that we should take advantage of the spring sunshine and go and hire a couple of bikes and pedal around the Bois de Vincennes, just east of Paris. Literally five minutes after getting off the phone to her, the clouds started rolling in, and the first drops were not far behind. However, spring weather being spring weather (I'm convinced spring is in the air, despite the stupid weather girls who keep contradicting me with their depressing prognoses of snow), by the time I emerged from the metro station all of 10 minutes after hurrying into it to escape the rain, a beautiful blue sky was back in place. And it continued like that the whole day.

The whole, highly successful, day, I should say. Because, despite a few wayward drops threatening to upset us a few times, we had a lovely day, cycling amongst naked trees (they also seem to disagree about this spring idea), dogs chasing balls and lycra clad joggers on our rented velos.



We took the train to the park, fearing worse than bruised arses in the Paris traffic, but our confidence improved after not hitting anything in lycra or fur, and so we cycled all the way back to the city centre on the homeward trip, and it was fine. So fine, that I am now thinking about getting a bike! A pretty Paris bike with a basket, that I can swan around on wearing pretty scarves and pretty shoes! Ideally an old thing in green or blue, and maybe even a rust spot or two, for authenticity.

One of the reasons I am thinking about this, other than all the associated prettiness, is that my cul needs to be trained up for my upcoming Provence adventure! Catherine-from-chemistry and I are doing a week long bicycle tour through Provence in May, and after the frightening bruising I've got going after just half a day day on a bike, I dread to think what a week and god knows how many kilometers would do to it! I dare say that there will be a lack of prettiness on this trip though, despite which I am itching with impatience in wait for!

ASIDE- I would also like to add how nice it was to get to speak to the lovely mesdemoiselles Sarah and Margaret at the happy occasion of Sarah and Matt's engagement party on Saturday! You made me feel very, hmm, not so much home-sick, rather friend-sick! I miss all you guys, and like I told Sarah and Margaret, stop going through all these exciting things for the next year or two until I can be there to share them! No more weddings UNLESS you agree to have them in Paris- a very romantic spot for a wedding I might add, and Margaret, I haven't forgotten your promise to move yours here either.

ANOTHER ASIDE- Things wouldn't be fair if I then didn't mention how equally lovely it was to speak to Annika today, on (or almost on... okay, so I was a day late, but the time difference was not in my favour) the happy occasion of her birthday! Happy birthday to her! No weddings for you either.

LAST ASIDE- Although I haven't spoken to him this weekend, I will take this time of plentiful asides and general greetings to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my dad, who also celebrated his birthday yesterday, probably with a beach walk and a round of golf!


Hurrah for birthdays and engagements and kittens and mittens!



Ignore the writing on this picture if your eyes are good enough to read it, it is not intentional!

Comments:
My dear cycling friend! Perhaps your first purchase should be a pillow which you can tie to the seat of your bike when you get it....to avoid nastiness on the arse!

Secondly...I said we'd happily move Sarah's wedding to Paris, not mine...I think the long distance line may have been abit crackly so you misheard.

Happy Birthday Annika and Jen's Dad...Joyeux Anniversaire...(one of the few things I remember from my french lessons at school)

ASIDE: I love the writing under the picture, rather amusing....
 
Awwww, you big softy. Thanks for your well-wishings on Saturday! We had a great night, even if it was unfortunately Jennyless (in person at least). In fine form, however, Alex stayed to the very last, and stayed awake for to the very last as well, almost as if he was subconsciously compensating for the fact that he was attending for the both of you. By the way, I must thank you and he on behalf of Sarah and I for your fantastic presents! I can't wait to start torching things with the creme brulee torch, or whizzing up a blizzard of lettuce with the zyliss spinner!

ASIDE: Those bikes really gleam!!!
 
thanks jen. and margaret. and congrats sarah and matt.
 
Wow, that picture was made for Suzy... she shares similar sentiments re: balloons.
 
Oh Jenny. It was lovely to talk to you on Saturday night, but I must apologise that it was such a crap call. It happened to coincide with the time everyone decided to leave and I had the bonus of a very animated (drunk) Lady chatting (hollering) away beside me to Alex. Thanks for your good wishes and for the spiffy present! Will post about the party when I get myself organised with pics.

Love the bicycles. So shiny. I think you should definitely get one! How FABULOUS!!!
 
Enregistrer un commentaire



<< Home