jeudi, novembre 17, 2005

Livres d'occasion


Some of you may know that I have an unfortunate tendancy towards book hogging. And now that I have neither television nor two nuggets to distract me, never mind the close-to-zero temperatures outside inspiring inside, sofa-sitting activities, the need to feed my addiction has only been growing stronger.

I thought I was going to get a good fix at the American Library in Paris, apparently the largest english book collection on continental Europe (or rather all of Europe minus an island or two across the channel). However I was sadly disappointed to find that this very americo-centric institution is, how can I put this delicately... a bloody rip-off. Just to look at their collection, as one might want to do before joining, given the €100 joining fee, commands an €11 "day member with no borrowing priveleges" fee. I will point out that this is one little euro short of DOUBLE the "day member with no borrowing privileges" fee to look at a rather more famous Paris collection, namely the Louvre.


Not for borrowing.

Luckily for me, I have just learned some very important french. Having seen lots of shops selling livres d'occasion (livre being book) I thought it strange that there was such a market for "occasion" books here. Must be for special occasions, maybe for presents, or books about Christmas, or even books that were only occasionally books. A good example of a faux ami indeed, because in this context occasion means second-hand!

And down the road from uni there is a fine livres d'occasion outlet with english novels for around €2! Much better! One trip yielded me five books in three languages (the third actually being an italian cookbook in norweigan!) for the grand total of €9.90! I have also found a GREAT bookstore selling only english second hand books. I think this might be the second largest collection of english books on the continent and HEAPS of great stuff. Unfortunately a little pricier than the first, with books around the €5 mark, but a fantastic collection.


Comments:
Ahh. Books in English. The precious commodity of the Aussie backpacker on the continent.

So glad you've found the promised land!
 
Does that mean you will now be cooking spag bol whilst singing Puccini in Norwegian? or will you be pickling herrings whilst grooving to Bjork in la cucina?

So many languages....too little time....
 
Bjork is icelandic.

And I did try a spag bol a few weeks ago with rather unsuccessful results. The mince I got was prefrozen, and it turned out to be a little too finely minced, like almost powdered! Very strange!
 
hooray for powdered meat!
 
Oi Lady! More posts please...it's been awhile and things are looking a little dry!!!
 
Enregistrer un commentaire



<< Home