mercredi, novembre 02, 2005

J'ai fait le pont


A four-day weekend, which also brought the end of daylight savings, the end of seven o'clock sunsets, the end of getting dressed in the dark, and a ten hour time difference between me and most of you (which would have woken me up earlier than planned on Sunday if I wasn't already walking down the Champs-Elysées at 8 am on Sunday morning, when Alex called me- hello darling!), seems to have marked the end of the lingering summer weather, and brought the rain and cold to us Parisiennes (NB. some of us may be Parisiennes-in-the-making). My mind is starting to turn to thoughts of the softest leather gloves in stock at the Galeries Lafayette... Actually I doubt I could afford their very softest gloves, judging by some of the price tags I saw on a little turn through their gilded gates on Monday. A €9600 furcoat would keep the winter chills out!

But what is this talk of bridges, you may ask, if you had bothered to look up the word "pont"? Well, in France, they have come up with many génial ideas regarding maximising their long weekends, and if a public holiday happens to fall on a Tuesday or a Thursday, then the Monday or the Friday is called a bridge day, and almost everybody font le pont, and takes a four day weekend! Genius I tell you! The trade-off is, if a public holiday falls on a Saturday or Sunday, you don't get to take the Monday off.

So I took advantage of my sejour of freedom, and did what all real Parisians do on a long weekend- I got out of Paris, in the company of Ruxandra, the Romanian girl in the lab. And headed 65 km south-east to a lovely Chateau called Fontainebleau. After a rocky start, including a spilt coffee, a wrong platform, and a missing ticker validator, we safely made it to the pretty little town named after the former home of Louis (XIII, XIV, and XV; I think XVI preferred Versailles), Napoleon (I and III at least, not sure about the second, but I guess he must have), and their various women.

Corridors of gilded ballrooms, opulent bed chambers, sumptuous dining rooms, lavish sitting rooms were ours to waltz through (staying just this side of the velvet rope of course), and outside the fountains trickled in the sun, the flowers bloomed and the air was sweet!



Oh, to live in a 1900-room castle, with more servants than you could count, the Mona Lisa on your bedroom wall (now elsewhere of course), and a stable full of horses with which to tour your majestic grounds, too grand to walk around! And a throne room, especially a throne room!



The weekend brought lots of other charms as well, but I might leave those until tomorrow!


Comments:
Ah, how the other half live...sure beats spending the weekend making fairyfloss in West Ryde...
 
I dunno... There are royal palaces, and then there's FAIRY FLOSS!

What's all this I hear about crazed parisiennes causing civil unrest? Have you been inciting riots again Jenny?
 
According to the SMH today:

http://smh.com.au/news/world/cars-burn-in-sixth-night-of-paris-riots/2005/11/03/1130823289204.html

Meanwhile, wandering around a palace called Fontainebleau...
 
Holy shit, it's like being back in Redfern all over again! And I knew nothing about this, due to the long weekends lack of free papers in the metro, which is all I read! Thanks for the link Sarah.

And I must plead ignorance to most of french politics too, those articles are just a bit beyond my french, so I skip them!

But rest assured, I'm firmly within the 75 département (Paris proper, within the péripherique), and the suburbs are a long way away!
 
We had a throne room Jen! It was just called something else...like a bathroom
 
Maybe to boys. Girls would never call a bathroom a throne room.
 
but Matt did!
 
Hail to the King baby!
 
Enregistrer un commentaire



<< Home